Applicant tracking systems in the past were only affordable to large and medium enterprises. Now small companies can find online applicant tracking systems at an affordable price.
If you own a small company and you are wondering if you need an applicant tracking system, it is definitely high time to move away from spreadsheets and use a system that is far more efficient and available to all your users from anywhere. Plus, it allows you to become a paperless hiring organization.
If you are already looking for a small company applicant tracking system, Recruiteze is the perfect software for your needs. Recruiteze has been rated the 2018 best small company applicant tracking system for ease of use and value for money.
Why does a small company need an applicant tracking system?
Hiring involves a lot of actors, notes, and communication. Without an efficient way to manage all the factors involved the information will be scattered between emails, documents, printouts, and memory. You will not be able to effectively analyze whether or not your hiring process is efficient and is working.
The primary actors involved in a hiring process are:
- Hiring Managers – The hiring process usually starts when a hiring manager has a need for one or more new resources. This can happen when an existing employee leaves, the work load has increased for the existing team members, or there is a new project in the pipeline.
- Decision Makers/Approvers – Depending on the size of the organization, there may be decision makers involved to either approve or disapprove a new job requisition. Decision makers can also be involved in approving the hiring decision to make an offer to an applicant/candidate.
- Recruiters – Once a job requisition is approved, a recruiting company or recruiter gets involved. They will gather the detailed job requirements from the hiring manager and post the job on the various job boards. Once the applications start coming in, the recruiter reviews the resumes and does preliminary screening before submitting to the hiring manager to get feedback. If the hiring manager requests an interview the recruiter schedules a suitable time with the applicant and one or more interviewers.
- Interviewers – These are the current employees, who either conduct a phone interview or an in person interview and provide their feedback on the applicant.
- Candidates/Applicants – Candidates apply for open positions if they come across the job from either the company’s career page or one of the job boards where the job has been advertised.
- Human Resources – Human resource administrators work with management and negotiate compensation and benefits, setup the onboarding processes, and conduct orientation.
With so many people involved, there is a lot of communication and notes that are distributed across individual emails, memory, and notebooks. For this reason alone, you should signup for an applicant tracking system. But there are lot more reasons that justify the use of an applicant tracking system.
Do you need to hire staffing firm for Recruiting?
If you are a small company and you are willing to put in a little extra effort, you can save thousands of dollars in commissions. This is especially true for startup companies, who may not have a lot of cash to burn during the early stages.
How can an applicant tracking system help your recruiting?
With a small company applicant tracking system, like Recruiteze, you can post and publish your jobs to numerous job sites including Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Google, LinkedIn, and a number of other job boards for free. This job posting and publishing is included in the monthly price of the applicant tracking system.
Here the benefits of using an applicant tracking system to post and publish jobs:
- Post to multiple job boards with one click – With an online applicant tracking system that supports job publishing, you can post your job and also publish to all the popular job boards with a single click of a button.
- Save time – Since you do not create accounts with every popular job board and post them individually, you save at least 6 hours of time in the process.
- Employees’ time is better spent – Time is more valuable, since it increases the productivity of the employees to do more useful things that help the bottom line.
- Receive applications in one place – When you post to the various job boards using an applicant tracking system all your applications come into the database of the applicant tracking system.
- Build your database – When you receive applications to your ats database, you are building a useful list of candidates. This can help in your future hiring.
- Automated acknowledgement – When you receive an application, an acknowledgement is automatically sent to the applicant. This shows you are a professional organization, this also saves you time responding to each and every applicant personally by automating this process.
This is another huge benefit for a small company. You save time, money, and increase your hiring efficiency.
Why do you need a customized workflow?
Every organization uses a different hiring workflow. A workflow is the different stages that candidate is taken through before your company makes a decision to either hire or reject. With Recruiteze, we have created numerous custom workflows for our clients.
For a small company a simple workflow could be:
- Application Received – As soon as a candidate applies to a job, the state could change to Application Received.
- Application Reviewed – Once the application is reviewed by a recruiter, the state can be changed to Application Reviewed. The candidate can be rejected after the review or proceed to the next step of phone screening.
- Phone Screen – During the phone screen, the recruiter evaluates the skills, experience, and communication fit for the position. The candidate can be interviewed after this step, or rejected.
- Interview – This can involve one or more interviews. The candidate can be selected for an offer or rejected at any step.
- Offer – If the applicant passes the interview phase, an offer can be extended.
- Candidate Accepted Offer – The state changes to accepted offer, if the candidate accepts the offer.
- Candidate Declined Offer – The state changes to declined offer, if the candidate declines the offer.
- Rejected – A candidate can be rejected from any of the steps outlined above.
- Withdrew – The applicant can also withdraw the candidature at any time.
The outlined workflow is more commonly used among the small companies using Recruiteze applicant tracking system. A customizable workflow is very important of an applicant tracking system. All the hiring metrics can be derived from the workflow. You can run reports like how many applications received, from which sources, how many were interviewed, how many were offered employment, how many were rejected and hired.
How to manage applicants using an applicant tracking system?
Based on research, a job posting receives an average of 250 job applications. That is a lot of job applications to manage. If you use an applicant tracking system, all the applications go into your applicant tracking system database.
The one thing you will need is to create a customized workflow that suits your current processes. As you are reviewing candidates, you put them through the different stages of the workflow. For each job, there is only one person that will be hired. So, out of the 250 applicants, most of them will be rejected. This is where having an applicant tracking system helps you filter out candidates so that your list becomes shorter and shorter until you find the one person to fill the job.
It is very important to use the workflow and notes to keep track of the candidate review and feedback.
How does an applicant tracking system help productivity?
Just imagine having to reply to every one of the 250 applicants that apply for a job. It can get pretty taxing. With an applicant tracking system, an automated acknowledgement goes out to each applicant with instructions and next steps. It also makes the company’s hiring process look far more efficient.
Also at each step of the workflow, if proper email templates are setup, with the click of a button a personalized email can be sent out to the candidate. This saves tremendous amount of repetitive time. It also streamlines the communication across everyone involved in the recruiting process.
Just imagine having to sift through spreadsheets and emails to find out feedback and notes. If all your notes and communication are maintained in an applicant tracking system you will have all information about the candidate in one place, no need to sift through emails, spreadsheets, and notebooks.
Imagine your recruiter leaves the company. If they have been maintaining the recruitment process through their emails, notebook and spreadsheets, you have lost a lot of valuable information. There is no continuity in your hiring process, you have lost all the tribal knowledge. This is another big reason to use an applicant tracking system. You start building your candidate database, your communication, and notes. If there is a need to look up the information or reach out to the semi-finalists later, it is all there for you to refer back.
Just like disaster recovery, you need a hiring continuity process to run an efficient organization. In the past these types of systems were only available to large organizations. Now with the advent of cloud, small companies have access to these smart online systems to manage the hiring process.
Cloud applicant tracking system
With the advent of cloud software, everything is available as a monthly subscription. This removes the barriers of the earlier on-premise systems. Now you do not need to own servers and hire system administrators to manage the servers and software. All you need is a browser and an internet connection. Your data and systems are available from anywhere. Cloud software has become the great equalizer for small companies. With plenty of affordable online software, small companies can run more efficiently without needing a lot of upfront investment buying hardware and software.
Small Company Applicant Tracking System
Now that you have seen the benefits of an applicant tracking system. Recruiteze is the best small company applicant tracking system. With Recruiteze, you can post your jobs to popular job boards like Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Google, and a host of other job boards with one click. You can manage the numerous applicants received with a simple customizable workflow process. You can streamline your emails and communication with email templates. Work in teams across the world seamlessly, since the software is available online. Try Recruiteze free today!